Written by Peter McGough
04 March 2015

15arnold-whowins

Arnold 2015

Who's Gonna Win...You Tell Us!

When, in late November, the preliminary names of those who had applied for an invite to the 2015 Arnold Classic, taking place this Saturday (March 7th), became known, there was as much buzz generated as an empty beehive. For a start only two of those applying were in the 2014 Mr. Olympia (Branch Warren 6th and Roelley Winklaar) and for the first time in the contest’s 26-year history none of the top five from the previous year’s Olympia had put themselves forward as candidates. Things picked up a tad on December 11, when four-time champ Dexter Jackson (maybe after close scrutiny of those who would assemble in Columbus for bad flexing intentions) added his name to the fray, but it still didn’t appear a stellar Arnold showdown was on the cards.

However, further examination of the 13 participants led to the growing realization that this was shaping up to be one of the most intriguing and difficult to call Olympias or Arnolds in years. The fact is a majority of the contenders have endured careers marked by a two steps forward one step back pattern and so many of them are at a crossroads that maybe when the prejudging starts a traffic cop should be on duty. Let’s hear your predictions, mine will come later, meanwhile here’s a shorthand guide to the 13 who will battle it out for this year’s Arnold Classic

Lionel Beyeke, France: The long time knock against the Frenchman was he had the size and bodyparts (apart from hams and calves) and if he ever really got in shape, then watch out! Well for the Arnold Brazil last year he did get in shape, seemed to be the winner and then as we “watched out” he was handed fourth. That sort of result can sap moral and conjure thoughts of “Is it worth it to go the whole nine yards?” Well a Beyeke going the whole nine yards can be dangerous.

beyeke

Evan Centopani, USA: By his own admission the Connecticut native has not so far fulfilled his early pro career promise and knows this Arnold is almost a “make or break” moment for him. (Click on: http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php/149362-quot-I-Will-Win-the-Arnold-quot-Evan-Centopani-s-Game-Plan-for-Victory) Not satisfied with righting that situation he is now openly proclaiming he will win the show and judging by recent pics he will be his biggest and best ever.

evan

Justin Compton, USA: Still only 26, the progress of the Kentuckian seems to be relentless. He is promising to be 12 quality pounds heavier than the 242 pound package that saw him victorious in his last outing, the Europa Show of Champions last April. Again his recent pics prove he’s not blowing smoke up anyone’s glutes. I predict he will finish ……… later.

justin

Brandon Curry, USA: Another competitor who has enjoyed (maybe experienced is a better word) a yo-yo of a career, By finishing eighth at the 2011 Olympia he seemed to signal he was moving into top tier territory but didn’t build on it in 2012. Then he bounced back with a win at the 2013 Arnold Brazil but didn’t make top 15 at that year’s Olympia. Again (we live in a Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/ selfie/Google-your-balls-off baby age) judging by recent pics he’s thicker and bigger and ready to deliver major damage with his classic shape and proportions.

brandonc

Marius Dohne: South Africa: You wanna talk about comebacks? Only Lazarus would rival this guy. After winning the 2011 Tampa show it seemed a serious a serious kidney ailment would not only end his career, it threatened to end his life. But Dohne was not done yet. He re-appeared in 2014 with a quartet of top ten finishes, although in my opinion he should have placed much higher in all of them. The South African has oodles of shapely, hard and separated muscle and maybe this Saturday will witness his breakthrough.

marius

Vitaley Fateev, Russia: The winner of the 2014 Arnold Europe overall title, by way of the superheavyweight division, Vitaley is one big Russian. His arms and legs are huge but he may be found a little wanting in terms of tie-ins and detail.

vitaley

Toney Freeman, USA: After competing in an astonishing 24 contests from 2011 through 2013 Mr. Freeman took a more leisurely approach in 2014 and entered only four shows. Now 47, the X-Man is out to prove he is not the Ex-Man.

toney

Dexter Jackson, USA: Well, what to make of The Blade? Forty-five tears old and showing no signs of going backward or even plateuaing. Recent pics show maybe a step up up in density and size and his cheekbones show he is suffering. He’s going for a record breaking fifth Arnold tile (which will detach him from Flex Wheeler with whom he is presently tied with four) and maybe, just maybe, he’s rolling all the dice to get sliced as he’s nearing the Final Hurrah. A thought prompted by his recent comments about retirement, which he’s never hinted at before.

dexter

Michael Kefalianos, Australia: Warning to other competitors: If you come in off (which is all too prevalent in present day pro competition) this guy will make you pay for it. When he’s on, he’s on like few others and his grainy, dry, deeply creviced separation makes him stand out against the more structurally gifted rivals he competes against.

michaelk

Cedric McMillan, USA In a line-up of under-achievers, last-chance-saloon hombres, and its-now-or-never participants, the looming enigma of Cedric McMillan stands alone. Quite simply with his size, sweeping lines, full muscle bellies and Arnoldesque look the guy – in shape – is a threat to Phil Heath. Will the 100 per cent cut and full Cedric show up on Saturday? Who knows? Does Cedric know?

cedric

Ben Pakulski, Canada: Big Ben is another on a comeback of sorts. Two years ago he was second in this contest and then a hernia disrupted his progress. Now fixed he brings his spectacular frame, massive Platzlike legs and strong onstage presence back to the Columbus stage. Working with Chris Cormier these past four months he should be conditioned, and if he is he’ll be vying for a top spot.

ben

Branch Warren, USA: Just about written off a year ago this Texas warrior turned back the clock to conjure up his renowned graininess of years gone and so take sixth place at last year’s Olympia. From what we’ve seen he’s ready to improve on his condition of last year and whatever happens he will fight to the bitter end.

branch

Roelly Winklaar, Curacao: Here we go again, a competitor with an inconsistent track record. He burst onto the pro scene in 2010 (winning the New York Pro that year) and then seemed to lose his way a bit; a state of affairs that prompted this scribe to observe in 2012 that he was a pair of arms in search of a torso. Late season results from last year would suggest he is getting back on track and at his best Roelly is as freaky as they come.

roelly

PREDICTIONS

So what is the key to victory on Saturday? Two elements spring to mind: consistency of performance and attention to detail. For consistency Dexter Jackson and Justin Compton stand out. They have not had an ebb and flow type of career that attaches itself to so many of this year’s other entrants. When it comes to detail, as in contest condition, again this duo present the leading credentials. It’s a fact that as condition has become more important over the years it has ironically become more difficult to achieve. Why? A personal theory is that because condition is the number one commodity these days too many competitors are trying too hard and doing too many manipulations too late in the day to attain that look. How many times in recent years have we thought that the Olympia is going to be the greatest ever only to see less than half show up in condition? For all the above reasons modern bodybuilding contests are as easy to predict as a Kayne West awards appearance.

But we digress I have been asked to make a prediction. I really see the showdown on Saturday being between Dexter Jackson and Justin Compton. Of course bodybuilding is a physical pursuit but the mind and belief in oneself comes into it at the elite level. Despite Dexter’s laidback demeanor a raging fire burns deep in his soul; how else to explain his unique and extraordinary career? But I just sense an inevitability about Justin Compton’s progress, a relentlessness to will things to happen, and an inexorable improvement curve where he rises to each challenge. He will be bigger than Dexter (which has never bothered The Blade before) and I feel he will be as conditioned, but his cuts will be deeper, his separation more dramatic, and his skin texture drier and more grainy. I’m taking Justin for the win, with Dexter second and Evan Centopani muscling his way to third. And yet my grey matter nudges me with the memory that back in 2008 another prodigy, Phil Heath, entered the Arnold as favorite, but had to give way to a certain Mr. Jackson. Like spicy chili, bodybuilding history has a way of repeating itself, in any case let’s hope we see an epic contest. Well, that’s my ten cents but as Nobel Laureate Nils Bohr said, “Predictions are very difficult, especially if they’re about the future.”

Stay tuned to musculardevelopment.com all this week and next as we bring you unrivalled coverage of the 2015 Arnold Sports Festival. Our programming includes play-by-play as it happens action, reports on all contests, video previews and recaps and interviews with all the main players.

DISCUSS THIS ARTICLE ON THE MD FORUM

READ MORE ARTICLES IN THE MCGOUGH REPORT