Written by Dan Solomon
04 March 2015

15arnoldinterview-dansolomon

The Arnold Schwarzenegger Interview

With Dan Solomon

As he prepares to bring his multi-sport event to Columbus for its 27th year, the seven-time Mr. Olympia champ remains busy as an actor, a producer, a father and a tireless defender of the environment. Following the announcement that Johannesburg, South Africa will soon join the list of host cities for his acclaimed Arnold Sports Festival, the 67-year-old former governor sat down with MD’s Dan Solomon for a conversation covering the numerous layers of someone widely regarded as the world’s most recognizable man.

Dan: How does it feel knowing that thousands of gym memberships are sold each year to people aspiring to be like Arnold?

Arnold: It feels good. That was my intention from the beginning. Not only did I want to lift for myself, but I also wanted to lift the entire sport. I’ve been on a crusade for the last 40-something years to promote it. Not only in America, but also worldwide.

Dan: I’ve heard you use the word “crusade” many times.

Arnold: That’s what the Arnold Classic is all about. That’s what interviews like this are all about. It’s what seminars and motivational speeches are all about. It’s what being on the cover of magazines is all about. It’s all about inspiring people and telling them that no matter what your talent is, no matter what your genetic potential is, you can really improve your body. Exercise and going to the gym is important no matter what you do.

Dan: With the addition of South Africa, you and (co-promoter) Jim Lorimer have turned the Arnold Classic into a six-continent franchise. Are you surprised by how quickly you’ve been able to expand the event?

Arnold: Not really. You have to understand that we receive a continuous and endless amount of requests from all over the world to bring the Arnold Classic to their country. They want to use the name Arnold Classic because it’s how they get media attention and it guarantees them that I will come for the event and will help them with the promotion. We made a decision a few years ago to go to every continent. It was a very conscious decision and I think it was a great decision. Now we are basically just supplying the demand.

Dan: What part of the world has presented the biggest challenges for the expansion process?

Arnold: I think Asia. They are not as coordinated with the amateur and professional organizations. I think (IFBB President) Santonja is doing a great job traveling all over the world and helping them form federations and uniting the various organizations, and that’s why it’s very important to take the Arnold Classic to those places.

Dan: Of all the characters you’ve played, and there have been many, which is your favorite?

Arnold: It’s hard to say. I enjoyed playing with Danny DeVito the twin brother as much as I enjoyed being the Terminator, the cyborg machine, or being Conan, or being Jamie Lee Curtis’ husband in “True Lies.” These are all very fun characters. I know the people enjoy me playing the tough characters or the funny characters. I enjoyed being in the jungle with those guys and fighting the Predator. These are all fun characters to play. But, I also have the joy of playing my real-life character. That’s a much more challenging character to play. Being someone who’s on a fitness crusade, always out there promoting health and fitness, and being on an environmental crusade, protecting the environment.

Dan: Tell us more about the work you’re doing to help protect the environment.

Arnold: It’s just like with fitness. We have so many people die every year unnecessarily because they haven’t paid attention to their health and to their fitness. And the same goes for the environment. We have 7 million people die each year because of pollution-related illnesses. I think we, as a human race, can do better than that. And that’s what I’m doing, motivating people, motivating countries not to wait for the Kyoto 2 treaty. Let’s inspire those political leaders to come up with a treaty, but at the same time, let’s all work together to lick this problem. We can reduce greenhouse gas; we can hand over a better world to the next generation. That’s our responsibility.

Dan: What are some of the hardest parts about being Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Arnold: Right off the top of my head, I couldn’t come up with anything. I enjoy being me. I wouldn’t exchange me with anyone else in the world. I always felt confident that I have a great vision. I have a tremendous amount of drive and I find great joy in what I’m doing always. So I would say that there’s really no downside. The only possible downside, and I don’t mind it, is that there’s a lot of responsibility and you are always in the public eye. Everything you say will be weighed very carefully and sometimes critically and therefore you have to be careful, even though I always try to be myself and I have a loose mouth, but at the same time, I do try to think about the responsibility and I try not to say things that are irresponsible.

Visit MuscularDevelopment.com for more from Arnold along with expanded coverage of his 2015 Arnold Sports Festival (March 5-8, 2015) in Columbus, Ohio.

DISCUSS THIS ARTICLE ON THE MD FORUM

SEE ALL OF OUR COVERAGE OF THE 2015 ASC

ARNOLD AT THE BEACH: MEMORIES OF BODYBUILDING'S GOLDEN AGE