Written by Team MD
23 September 2013

2013 Mr. Olympia Preview

Shawn Ray & Flex Wheeler - Intro by Dan Solomon

13o-previewStory Lines by Dan Solomon

PQ: “This year’s Olympia will take our sport to a level we have never seen before. Those who attend will witness a level of competition that few have ever seen. Our 15th year in Vegas promises to be one for the ages.” ~Robin Chang

Epic showdowns, those larger-than-life encounters between bloodthirsty rivals. In life, and in sport, they are the moments that define us; the moments for which books are written and stories are told. In the world of bodybuilding, such a moment occurs once each year, on a stage in Las Vegas, beneath searing lights that illuminate physiques resembling granite statues, but carved instead of actual human flesh.

13preview1On September 27th and 28th, the best bodybuilders on the planet will compete for the right to be called Mr. Olympia, a title that only 13 men have held in the 48-year history of the event. In other sports, champions are crowned when two opponents meet on a field, on a court, or inside a ring. In bodybuilding, the showdown is far more complex, comprised of several challengers, each with their eye on the same prize, a $250,000 first-place check, the coveted Sandow statue, and the distinction of standing alone atop a sport that requires more sacrifices than any other.

Robin Chang, the man responsible for organizing bodybuilding’s biggest weekend, explains, “This year’s Olympia will take our sport to a level we have never seen before. Those who attend will witness a level of competition that few have ever seen.” Chang continues, “Our 15th year in Vegas promises to be one for the ages.”

This year’s contest, one year shy of its 50th anniversary, will assemble a collection of muscle unlike any the world has ever seen, with enough story lines to fill all 9,000 seats at the Orleans Arena. Of the 13 men who have won Joe Weider's contest, only seven of them have won it more than twice. If you're having trouble following that, it’s a subtle reminder that Phil Heath, the reigning champ, remains on the list of “one- and two-time” winners, a club that includes Larry Scott (two wins), Franco Columbu (two wins), Chris Dickerson (one win), Samir Bannout (one win), Dexter Jackson (one win) and, for now, Heath, a two-timer. You can be sure Phil has little interest in remaining in the “One- and Two-Timer Club,” but a third title won’t be easy.

This year’s event may include as many as SIX different men who previously finished among the top two at the contest, and among them is Kai Greene, only one year removed from pushing Heath to the limit. Last year’s runner-up is one of the few contenders with the barrage of weapons needed to compare favorably with the defending champ, a reality we came to accept back in 2010 when Kai defeated Phil to win the Arnold Classic. Phil's multi-dimensional physique is a nightmare for his challengers, but Kai's combination of thick, detailed muscle has presented challenges for the champ.

The lineup is so daunting that several bona fide SUPERSTARS will inevitably be excluded from the evening’s final posedown. Shawn Rhoden returns after taking a full year to improve upon a physique that became one of last year’s biggest stories when he placed third, securing a spot in bodybuilding's exclusive upper-tier. And then there’s Dexter Jackson, the future Hall-of-Famer who won the title five years ago and has rediscovered his championship formula. At 43 years old, Jackson makes his 14th Olympia appearance just seven months after winning his record-tying fourth Arnold Classic, one of many extraordinary stories tied to this year’s event.

Branch Warren and Victor Martinez have both stood among the top two on the Olympia stage, and each has proven to be at their best when the odds (and the critics) are against them. As you’ve read in the pages of MD, Victor and Branch are two of the most tenacious, unyielding bodybuilders the sport has ever known. At 38 years old, Branch is looking to remain among the top five in the world, a status he has held since 2009, and one that he has no plans to relinquish. In the case of Victor, he’s looking to cap off yet another comeback following a broken arm that had many contemplating whether he’d be able to remain among the world’s best. Add THAT to your list of “things to watch” at this year’s contest … and while you’re at it, go ahead and add the incredible story of Mamdouh Elssbiay, the enormous Egyptian rookie who made jaws drop earlier this year when he won his professional debut in New York City. The man they call “Big Ramy” is armed with a combination of size and shape that has forced experts, such as Flex Wheeler, to consider the possibility that this 28-year-old may already be the best bodybuilder in the world.

On our list of Olympia storylines, the biggest of them all just might be the story of a guy who hasn’t competed in two years. “Will he or won’t he?”— that’s the question fans have been asking all year about Jay Cutler. Regarded as the world’s most popular (current) bodybuilder, Cutler hasn’t competed since 2011 when he traveled to India after Heath ended his bid for a fifth title. Cutler has been unwavering in his convictions that he’d like to take one final shot at the crown and ride off into the sunset as king of the sport he once dominated. Believe it or not, the last time Cutler finished lower than second place in a bodybuilding contest, Bill Clinton was still President. If Jay makes it back to the Olympia stage, it would create a rare opportunity for fans to see three Olympia champions compete on the same night, on the same stage. The story of a Cutler comeback has captivated bodybuilding fans, and if he makes it back, it just might be the greatest bodybuilding contest ever held. Pull up a chair, Joe Weider, your contest is about to have one of its greatest nights, an epic showdown.

Shawn Ray and Flex Wheeler Preview the 2013 Mr. Olympia

Phil Heath

Shawn: The reigning two-time Mr. Olympia is certainly in the driver’s seat, and looks to be the odds-on favorite to defend his title again this year against virtually the same Olympia lineup of a year ago. Phil was bigger last year than when he first won the title in 2011, yet a tad less conditioned. However, his overall genetics carried him to victory against formidable challengers who were all at their best, given the circumstances. This year, I have seen Phil in a very productive off-season and I can say I am even more impressed with him this year than any other off-season I have seen him have. I predict a three-peat at the Mr. Olympia this September in Las Vegas.

13preview2Flex: First I want to say something that I want Phil to read. I still consider him my little brother, and along with Jay Cutler I was one of the first to recognize his stellar potential back when he won the Junior Nationals over eight years ago. Phil seems to think I don’t like him because I’ve said and written some critical things about his physique, but hopefully he and all the other athletes realize that’s my job— to be critical. With all that out of the way, I still see Phil as the man to beat this year as he strives for his third consecutive title. Kai and Ramy will most likely push him hard and make this year’s Mr. O a real battle. But you know what? That’s exciting for all of us to watch— rather than a slaughter where the reigning champ comes out, gets looked at once and the show is, for all intents and purposes, over. Phil is going to have to fight tooth and nail for his third Sandow, and that’s a fight we will all be thrilled to watch.

Kai Greene

Shawn: This guy continues to impress and improve as time goes on. Inching ever so close to the title, Kai arguably could have dethroned Phil a year ago but came up short in a few poses. Kai has an extremely muscular body and holds his own on the Olympia stage. His weakest pose is his most muscular, which happens to be Phil’s best pose! I have Kai as a lock for first runner-up again this year. One of the more colorful posers, Kai will have to bring more aggression to the stage and fight for the title— as I feel his time is now if ever there was a time for him to pull off the win. But the conditions have to be right for that to happen, namely him at his absolute best and Phil just a touch off.

Flex: A true workhorse. What he’s managed to achieve in bodybuilding over these last few years is nothing short of astounding, and it’s been an honor watching him grow from such humble beginnings into the superstar he is today. Nobody packs more dense, striated muscle from head to toe than Kai. The only limitation he has is his structure. Phil is more structurally sound and that gives him the overall edge, because Heath is no slouch in the size department and both men consistently bring sick condition. Phil being off, as Shawn noted, would have to happen for Kai to vault past him and it’s just not likely to happen. I hate to nitpick, but when you have two great physiques like this, sometimes it comes down to something so seemingly inconsequential as the relative proportions of a man’s bones to another’s.

Jay Cutler

Shawn: Two years removed from the Mr. Olympia stage after winning four titles and six first runner-up placings, Jay has the biggest mountain to climb of all the guys on this stage. In Jay’s last appearance on the Olympia stage he placed second, but I had him in third. Now at the age of 40, even though apparently healthy, one has to wonder if he was able to train as hard as he did prior to his 2011 biceps tear and subsequent surgery to repair his arm; or if he has been training “cautiously” to protect and preserve his body from further damage and injury? Either way, he is up against younger foes who have no respect for training cautiously and disregard for injury— which will tilt the balance of victory in their favor and not Jay’s. My personal belief is that Jay will look respectable under the circumstances, but will struggle to make top five in this year’s lineup.

13preview3Flex: This year’s Olympia is a unique opportunity for Jay. He’s obviously brilliant at business, which is why he’s timing the launch of his new supplement line at this year’s show. But I honestly don’t feel Jay has enough gas in the tank to take on Phil Heath and Kai Greene. He’s on his way down the ladder after 17 years in the IFBB, while those two are still on their way up. This is not the Jay Cutler who pushed Ronnie all those years, or even the Cutler who won his title back from Dexter in 2009. I’m sure he’s going to give it his best, but you can’t fool Father Time.

Mamdouh Elssbiay aka Big Ramy

Shawn: The new kid on the block! He will show up as one of if not the biggest competitor in the show. However, I am not expecting the same impact he made on the New York Pro lineup and subsequent victory this past May in his pro debut against a weak lineup and a recovering Victor Martinez. While huge and muscular, reminiscent of the late Nasser El Sonbaty, Ramy has conditioning and muscle separation issues that will dog the raw rookie in this lineup of seasoned pros. This is a contest that will be decided based on conditioning, not size; relegating the impact of Ramy to a potential top-six finish, but not as a threat to the title as my colleague Flex seems to think he will be.

Flex: I stand by what I said, and here’s why. The man is that much bigger and heavier than anyone else up there including Phil and Kai, and the Mr. Olympia has been about size for a long time. It was about size with Dorian, Ronnie and Jay. I’m not naive enough to think Ramy can show up with the same look he had in New York and win the biggest contest in our sport. He was 285 there, and to take on the ultra conditioning of Phil and Kai he will need to dial that in to something like 275-278, which will still make him the biggest and most dominating physique on that stage. The guy is only 26 years old. Let’s say he doesn’t win this year. As long as he stays healthy and brings up his chest and calves, there will come a time very soon where no one will be able to handle him.

Dexter Jackson

Shawn: Mr. Consistency personified. I predict this reigning four-time Arnold Classic and Masters Mr. Olympia Champion will repeat a fourth-place finish as he did last year. No real improvements, however a victim of his physique “peaking” with no improvements to be made. At just a month shy of turning 44 years old, Dexter is still someone to be reckoned with but improvements at this stage are getting harder and harder to come by. Considering the fact that he is the only man to take a physique from a bantamweight to the Mr. Olympia title, I think it’s safe to say The Blade has managed to come the furthest of nearly any other man in this contest.

13preview4Flex: I have no doubt Dexter can and will make the top five. At his age, he knows it’s unrealistic to think he can get his title back with all these hungry young lions on the prowl. He’s smarter than that. Dexter has been competing a long time and I have a feeling he’s looking at his exit strategy. I’d say that tying my record with a fourth Arnold win, getting top five once again at the Mr. Olympia, and winning another Masters Mr. O title are perfect final chapters as his impressive career starts to wind to a close.

Branch Warren

Shawn: Last year was an eye-opener for Branch after winning his second-straight Arnold Classic, then slipping down to fifth place in the Mr. Olympia. Branch will have a hard time this time remaining in the top six of a contest he once finished as runner-up to Jay Cutler only four years ago. Now that he is a father, recovered from the torn quadriceps and a previously torn triceps, Branch may be the “odd man out” here, struggling to stay in the top six as the depth of field increases every year. With the return of Cutler, the addition of Ramy and the arrival of Rhoden last year, it becomes harder for Branch— and everyone else for that matter— to secure a money spot.

Flex: It is going to be interesting to see what happens with Branch in this year’s lineup, given that it’s a tougher group than we’ve seen up there in years. We saw that his previously torn right quad was down in size at this year’s Arnold Classic. Will he be able to get it to match the other leg, or will it still be a distraction? Condition and fullness will also be critical for Branch. He’s not the most symmetrical guy, so it’s his brutal mass and condition that have to carry him. If anything is lacking, he will slide down the placings.

Dennis Wolf

Shawn: Always a top-six finalist in the Mr. Olympia (barring the time he totally missed his peak in 2009), Dennis will have to bring the conditioning to match the mass to stay in the top six. Ramy standing next to Dennis will be a good test; as these two have excellent shape, but conditioning will separate the two once and for all. If Dennis is in shape and manages to stay big and full, expect him to remain in the top five!

Flex: You hit the nail on the head there, Shawn. Dennis always looks unreal a week or two out from the Olympia at something like 275 pounds, just huge and full as all hell. Then we see him onstage and we sit there wondering, where did all that crazy pop and fullness go? Wolf is a big, tall, wide man and is capable of doing plenty of damage as we’ve seen before. But with a frame that big, his only hope is to show up looking like a freak.

Victor Martinez

Shawn: This is a contest he should have skipped if he was expecting to fight for a top-three finish. It will be a successful welcome back if he is simply trying to place in the top 10, which he will if he competes. I predict he’ll land somewhere between eighth and 10th place in this lineup, based on what he showed me in New York and Toronto this past May and June. Victor was in desperate need of more quality size and simply put, did not have enough time to adequately put it all back on properly. Only rest and time could do that. Now that he has decided to jump back on his diet and compete again for a third time this year, I expect him to potentially be either bigger and smoother or smaller and softer. Coming into this Olympia, it would be really surprising to me if he were bigger and harder as I am sure he aims to be. Historically he simply has not been able to do that when he was younger and healthier, so achieving that feat now at the age of 40 and with a history of injuries would be a real stretch.

Flex: It was nice to see Victor come back this spring in New York and Toronto with the type of condition he hasn’t shown in at least five years. But he was down in size, and that’s not going to cut it at the Olympia with freaks like Phil, Kai and Ramy up there. Can he duplicate that condition but put some size back on in time for Vegas? If he does, I can see him in the top five for sure. If not, he’s going to be one of the guys battling it out for one of the spots between sixth and 10th. But you can’t count the guy out. He doesn’t give up.

Shawn Rhoden

Shawn: A year ago Shawn shocked the industry the way that Ronnie Coleman, his mentor, did in 1998— except he was short on the victory. That said, I expect Shawn to bring a similar package to the stage that will hold off Dexter, Jay and Ramy on shape, symmetry and aesthetics alone. Should he add the much-needed size to his chest, shoulders and arms, he could be a lock for third place again. If not, he will remain top five from where I sit on beauty alone. Arguably the “prettiest” package on the Olympia stage, but will need to come peeled for a good comparison against Kai and Phil!

13preview5Flex: Shawn Rhoden is a big “what if?” as far as I’m concerned. His shape and symmetry are the best in the game, and his third place last year was a tremendous accomplishment. The improvements he made between 2011 and 2012 were substantial, and they are what took him to that next level and put him on the A list. Will he continue to improve, particularly in the chest and back? If he does, his hot streak will go on. As far as moving up from his third place last year, that would be a true feat this time.

Evan Centopani

Shawn: Evan having to qualify for the Olympia this August, and then remain on a diet for another six weeks is uncharted waters for a guy who typically only competes once a year. That said, Evan is a top-eight Olympia finalist should he qualify, and will not embarrass himself on the world’s biggest stage. A picture of consistency but still a couple of years from where he needs to be to push for a top-six spot just yet. He could take out a few big names in the process like Freeman, Victor, Johnnie Jackson, Roelly and others.

Flex: Evan hasn’t competed since last year’s Olympia, so I don’t know how he’ll look. He’s a smart, young guy with a huge frame that can and probably still needs to hold another 15-20 pounds before he reaches his ultimate potential. I sincerely hope he’s been very productive over this last year.

Roelly Winklaar

Shawn: Roelly coming off a victory in Chicago against a weak lineup is a guy who can’t place in the top 10. I’m not convinced he is a top-eight Olympia athlete. However, he can bring enough to the Olympia stage to make a few guys take notice if they slip up. Roelly’s strengths are his arms, traps and legs. Problem areas are his conditioning and stage presence. He shines at smaller shows but simply gets lost in lineups that are rich in talent.

Flex: Roelly put himself back on the map by winning the Wings of Strength show in Chicago. That was the best package of size and sharp condition he’s shown since he won the New York Pro in 2010, and many of us were wondering if he was going to be a one-hit wonder. Consistency has been a real issue with Roelly, so let’s see what he brings to Vegas.

Brandon Curry

Shawn: After winning the Brazilian Arnold Classic, this father of four has a lot to prove at the Olympia this time around. He will struggle in the size department as he has a beautifully built body, but falls short on the “wow factor.” Conditioning will be a major factor on how well Brandon does, but this kid is top-eight material on any Olympia stage. To place higher, he will need to be more ripped than we have ever seen him thus far!

13preview6Flex: Back when Brandon was an amateur, I gave him the nickname “Soul Brother Number One”! I like this kid and his physique a lot, and I was happy to see him score his first pro win at the Arnold Brazil in the spring. He finally showed us a glimpse of what he’s truly capable of there. Curry needs to bring even better condition to the Olympia if he wants to move up from eighth place last year.

Ben Pakulski

Shawn: Ben is coming off a controversial second place at the Arnold Classic, and I say that because many around me had him as low as fourth place. Word on the street was that Ben had the long overdue hernia surgery after that show, which may affect a solid return in such a short time. He will need to bring his stomach distension considerably down to stand with the genetic freaks like Phil, Kai, Shawn, Ramy and Dexter! While his back was improved, this Olympia lineup will reveal just how far behind his weakness is. He’ll struggle to make top 10.

Flex: Anybody who had been underestimating the potential of Pak Man changed their tune this past March when he used mammoth size and granite-hard condition to thunder all the way to second place; beating everyone except four-time champ Dexter Jackson. If you’re talking wheels, the only two men on the planet who can hang with Ben are Branch and Kai. The man is tall, wide and massive. He still needs more back and arms to be as deadly as possible, but Ben is still a force to reckon with. If he shows up in the same condition as the Arnold, look for Ben to beat a few favorites and quite possibly be in the top five. He’s still not a threat to Phil or Kai, but let’s just say everybody else better bring their A game.

Cedric MacMillan

Shawn: Another guy who I question will make it to the stage. If he does, I seriously hope we will see much improvement from the New York burnout this past May. Cedric will have officially been dieting approximately 10 months by the time the Olympia comes around, resulting in more of the same that we saw there: flat, shapely, promising and soft. Ten months ago I would have predicted a top six finish. Now, I think he’ll be just happy to take the stage.

Flex: As of press time, it wasn’t 100 percent certain that Cedric was competing. If he does, it will be interesting to see which package he brings. The Big Mac that we saw in May at the New York Pro wouldn’t have a prayer, but the guy who won the FIBO and who very possibly would have won the Arnold Brasil would only need to come in a little bit drier and fuller to make a real impact. On one hand he’s done a lot of shows already this year and he could be burnt out, but I recently saw him guest pose and he looks pretty damn good.

Johnnie Jackson

Shawn: Johnnie Jackson, like Cedric, has competed in numerous shows over the last 10 months. That said, at 40-plus years old I think we’ll see more of the same. Two different bodies— a very big and impressive world-class upper body, and very amateurish legs with painfully nonexistent calves. While Johnnie has had mild success on the pro stage, the Mr. Olympia stage will show him no mercy.

13preview7Flex: The Man of Steel! As good as he is and as much as I can honestly call him a friend, it’s going to be a real challenge for him to break the top 10 in this year’s ridiculously stacked lineup. That being said, if he does manage to land in the top 10, it will be an achievement he can take pride in. The show is just going to be that good this year. When it comes to the upper body, Johnnie fears no man. But as we all know, his legs aren’t quite matching and anything that gives the judges a reason to score you down a notch or two is a serious liability at the toughest bodybuilding contest in the world.

Toney Freeman

Shawn: The true veteran in this year’s Mr. Olympia lineup and the senior competitor, Tony at 46 years old will be respectable and finish in the top 10 if he resembles his old self. That said, nearing 47 years of age, this competition’s youth will take precedence over his experience and years. He will have to come in very hard and very dry, which will result in him being very slender. I see this resulting in a lower than usual placement.

Flex: Toney is a super close friend of mine and I happen to think he has a hell of a physique. But top 10 is going to be a struggle. That’s not a knock on him at all. The Mr. Olympia hasn’t had a lineup this deep in over 10 years now. Toney at his all-time best could scratch and claw his way into the top six or eight, possibly higher. If he’s a little flat or a little off in condition, the X-Man will be out of luck in Vegas.

Shawn Ray and Flex Wheeler Preview the 2013 212 Showdown

Flex Lewis

Shawn: I predict he will be victorious once again, as no one in this division is hungrier than James! A year ago he came in peeled! He will need to do that again if he wants to remain the champ. If he attempts to play the size game, it will affect his overall conditioning and cost him his title. Shape, symmetry, proportion, presentation and condition are what sets him apart from the rest of the pack, not raw mass. As a veteran, James will pay attention to detail and handle his business. Two-peat for sure!

Flex: I saw James at the BodyPower Expo over in the U.K. in May, and it looked like he’d put on more size since his win last fall. Being that he’s up against shorter, thicker opponents, that’s probably a good move if he wants to retain his title. Of course he will still need to bring the deep cuts he’s known for. I often wonder if he gives up a certain amount of size and fullness to achieve that crisp condition, and if so, is he capable of showing up with both? If he does, I don’t see anyone taking his title away this year.

David Henry Shawn: Always a threat, the original 202 Olympia Showdown winner has been quietly serving his country, being a husband and a father to his baby while planning a surprise attack at the Olympia 212 Showdown! I believe age has caught up with David in the leg department, and much-needed size and fullness in his lower body will be the difference here. The last time I saw him, his legs had slimmed down, which spells disaster next to Lewis with his freaky quads, hams and the best calves in the division. His strengths are obviously his back, chest, bi’s and abs. Could be first runner-up, but will have to fight for it! Flex: I also see David as Flex’s biggest threat, simply because he has the look of any Olympia champion: thick, round, full muscles with tiny joints and plenty of detail. I agree with Shawn that his legs could be a liability if they have come down even more, because they’ve never been a strong point to begin with and he’s sharing the stage with guys like Flex and Jose who have quads and hams for days.

Jose Raymond

Shawn: I predict Jose takes a solid third place here based on the structure of his body and its shortcomings, genetically speaking. While he gets hard and grainy, the muscle separation will be the difference in this contest. Sadly, that is one of the only things missing on Jose’s build that will hold him back. Jose also needs to be careful not to relax his abs onstage. Even a slight distension here could be disastrous with Henry, Lewis and Sami on this same stage, all three of whom have tiny midsections and narrow waists.

13preview8Flex: Just like I said with Kai, it’s been a trip watching Jose grow and morph into this star over the last few years. I still remember him coming out to visit his older brother Tito at Gold’s Venice, when Jose was competing as a lightweight! The Boston Mass is on a roll with two pro wins already this year. I know he’s hungry to win this, and he will definitely be in the mix.

Sami Al Haddad

Shawn: Sami lost a nail-biter in New York to Jose. I personally had him winning that contest, and if he is to defeat Jose and exact revenge in Las Vegas, he will have to bring more aggression and less respect to the stage. A beautifully built physique star, Sami is poised to break out at the Olympia Showdown and could possibly be the “spoiler” of the contest! This former Amateur Mr. Olympia winner and multiple IFBB World Champion from Bahrain is capable of victory, so don’t sleep on Sami!

Flex: What a beautiful physique on Sami. His shape and symmetry are excellent, and he is consistently shredded. He does have a lighter frame and doesn’t appear to be as thick overall as the other top guys, which could hurt him. Then again, several of his strengths are the same as what makes Flex Lewis the champion. He missed the show last year but did go on to take second to Flex at the British Grand Prix a couple of weeks later, so it will be interesting to see how he does here.

Kevin English

Shawn: After pulling out of the New York Pro this past May one week prior to the show, and then failing to show up to even watch it, one has to wonder if Kevin will even be in Las Vegas? The former three-time Olympia Showdown winner has struggled to make weight and now he can’t even make it to a pro show in his home state of New York? In this lineup, Kevin will struggle to make the top five if in fact he does compete.

Flex: I for one do hope Kevin not only shows up, but comes back fresh and ready to take his title back. He’s beaten all these guys before. I feel he was simply burnt out mentally and physically after winning in 2011 and just needed a long break to recharge his batteries. He’s had that now, so let’s see if that pays off. Kevin hasn’t competed since the weight limit was 202, and making weight was always a nightmare for him. Hopefully the 10 extra pounds he can carry now will be to his advantage, because mass is his strong suit.

Mohamed Salama

Shawn: New kid with very promising potential, just not this year.

Flex: I confess I had no idea who he was and had to do a Google image search to check him out. Plenty of thick muscle, kind of a funky shape and structure. Top five would be a real shocker.