Written by Peter McGough
20 September 2014

olympia-phi-kai-ugly

Olympia Face-Off!

Phil & Kai Rivalry Gets Uglier

In over 35 years of covering pro bodybuilding contests I have never witnessed anything like the scene that went down at the prejudging of the 2014 Mr. Olympia contest this Friday evening, September 19, at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.

It occurred in the first comparison of the evening when Phil Heath found himself standing next to arch nemesis Kai Greene, who had exploded on the defending Olympia champion at the Thursday press conference. They went through the first few comparisons as normal, but as they did a side chest Kai flicked his pigtail back and it hit Phil who smiled. In a following comparison they begin to bang elbows, whereupon Kai suddenly turned and stuck his not inconsequential nugget into the face of Denver’s most muscular nugget and uttered something which wasn’t anywhere near, “Merry Christmas!” They faced off eyeball to eyeball, while Phil said something back without stepping back and seeming unfazed. Head judge Steve Weinberger quickly ordered Dennis Wolf to stand between the two to complete the comparisons. It was ugly and we have only reached the half time of the contest so we may yet see more fireworks than July 4. The prejudging accounts for only 50% of the marks, with the remaining 50% being allotted at the Saturday night (September 20) finals. So it is all to play for. Here’s a bullet point guide to the prejudging at the 2014 Olympia.

1) From where I sat this is how I saw the eight comparisons between Phil and Kai.

Front double biceps: Kai

Front lat spread: Kai

Side chest: Kai

Rear double biceps: Phil

Rear lat spread: Kai

Side triceps: Phil

Abs & thighs: Phil

Most muscular: Phil

That’s four poses each. But the last pose the judges see is the most muscular and that’s a killer shot for Phil and Kai’s poorest. Whatever, it looks like its for all the marbles on Saturday night.

2) Phil needs to get fuller and Kai needs to get harder, with Phil getting more benefit from what he has to do compared to what Kai has to do.

3) According to some there is a PR element that goes into the election of a Mr. Olympia. If that is so (and I don’t buy into it) Kai Greene by his sudden morphing into Mr. T at Thursday’s press conference and the Olympia prejudging just blew it big time like Louis Armstrong taking it all back home.

4) Shawn Rhoden was the revelation of the show, having gained a few quality pounds, without disturbing his symmetry, since his second place at the Arnold Classic. He is fighting for third here with Wolf.

5) Dennis Wolf wasn't at his absolute best and again the old “starting full and then fading a little” syndrome occurred.

6) Dexter Jackson was bigger than we’ve ever seen him but not as sharp, which was somewhat disappointing considering what he looked like a couple of weeks ago.

7) Big Ramy's momentum from last year has stalled. He still shocks the senses with all those huge bodyparts but lacks detail, apart from thighs. He’s like a giant canvas with no imagery.

8) Roelly Winklaar’s arms are sensational, but he disappointed here, highlighted by a distended stomach, which prompted thoughts of Roelly-Poly.

9) I’m gobsmacked (British for amazed) that William Bonuc with his gnarly well conditioned physique looks to be destined for a 14th or worse placing. He should have been in the second call out and grappling for seventh or eighth. As it was he was not included until the last callout.

The Finals of the 2014 Mr. Olympia take place tonight (Saturday, September 20) starting at 7.00pm PST. Stay with musculardevelopmentonline.com for as it happens play-by-play and video wrap up and learn in real time if Phil Heath takes his fourth Sandow or whether we have a new Mr. Olympia champion.

DISCUSS THIS ARTICLE ON THE MD FORUM

SEE COMPARISON SHOTS OF THEM ALL

SEE OUR ENTIRE GALLERY OF THE 2014 MR. OLYMPIA