Written by Shawn Ray
19 July 2009

The 2009 NPC Men's LA Championships saw it's first "Middleweight Over All Champion" walk away victorious in the form of Daryl Gee who was making a Comeback after a 4 Year Layoff from Competition!

Overall Champion- Daryl Gee

Los Angeles Bodybuilding Championship- SUMMARY

In the posedown we had our first opportunity to see if Daryl Gee really had the "Right Stuff" standing next to the other class winners as opposed to the one's in his class which he defeated in a "Pro Style" beat down!  That said, Daryl more than held his own against what many believed would be an "unfair" comparision against the guys in the Bigger / Heavier Classes especially Todd Jewel who stood 6 ft and 280lbs!

From (head to toe) Daryl had what the others were missing: Crips Detail when he flexed, Dry Christmas Tree, Cross Striations in his Pecs when he posed, Splits in his Hamstrings and Guns that Lee Priest would be envious of! This guy is for sure my pick to win his class at the upcoming USA next weekend against the veteran Champion, Shivas. Congratulations, Daryl said this victory was a stepping stone to what he really wants which is his IFBB Pro Card! Seems like he is heading i n the right direction.

Super HVY- Todd Jewel

todd-jewell.jpgTodd Jewel came into this class at a Whopping 280lbs! He was big for sure but under the lights in Prejudging, one had to wonder if using this show as a tune up would be a mistake, as Todd seemed to be holding a bit of water and had flattend out a considerable amount. However, by the night show, Todd began to have some "Separation" that was missing in the morning and things looked to be heading in the right direction. The more he Posed the better he looked! He wasn't threatend by second place finisher, Silvio Kersten much but it could have went from Bad to Worse had Todd not make the adjustments he did prior to the night show. Todd will be in the USA with plans to dry out more and drop a few pounds for even deeper cuts! He will need them with the likes of Gregori Atoyan, Sean Allen, Malcom Marshal and company!

Heavy Wt- Kevin Sperling

k-sperling.jpgIf Kevin was not the second coming of Orville Burke/ Joel Stubbs, I dont know who he was! This cat came in with 747 size "Wingspan Lats!" Kevin was wide with a teeny tiny waist and very good condition. He was rather tall for this class and enevitably will be a Super Hvy soon! That said, I am a bit critical of him in the way that a man this Big has to have Big Ass Arms which I am sure he is working on but he will need them in order to fight off more balanced guys like Daryl Gee down the road. Great structure and good poser, Kevin just needs to keep packing on some size to fill out his potentional but he had the right stuff in this class for sure!

Lt Hvy- Kyle Witherspoon

witherspoon.jpgNow Kyle seemed to be pressed a bit in this class but only from the rear by, Vince Gumataotao. Both equally holding water and lacing detail but very even in development. When standing to the front, Kyle delivered the necessary goods to pull this victory off. Good color and separation however, in Prejudging he was sweating alot but it served him well by the night show as he pulled a lot of water and cruise to the winners circle.

Middle Wt- Daryl Gee

gee.jpgThe Comeback kid from where I sat won unchallenged. Upon seeing him take center stage I already began to think "Overall Champ?" I mean I thought who's going to beat this guy? Daryl had just the right amount of EVERYTHING to hold back the challengers who's dreams were vanquished by the Structure, Polish and Fullness of Gee! Calves, Separation, Muscle Roundness were all there in Spades! Criticism which he will need to make more progress is he will have to MASTER the Madatories better. He tends to relax his massive Quads when flexing other body parts and he needs more Agression but in light of 4 yrs away from the stage, he will be forgiven here but Vegas and the USA's will not spare such criticism.

Welter Wt- Anthony Marmon

You couldnt find a "Bigger Smile" on anyones face in the show starting from prejudging to the contest wrap than the one Anthony was sporting this night! Anthony had a tad shallow back and laced in width but made up for it with deep etched Abs, good Traps and excellent Posing! Anthony has been plodding away for sometime now and with the likes of Chris Cormier and Charles Glass cheering him on and adding guidance to his stage presence, Anthony sailed into Victory Lane looking every bit the deserving champion!

Lt Wt- Toney Boone

In this class it was Toney and the rest of the group. While Toney may not have been the "Hardest most Cut" guy in his class, it seemed he had the fewest flaws. However, if he hopes to move up the Food Chain, he will need to dramatically bring up his Calves and etch in some serious detail to his Abs. Good shape and balance he should enjoy this victor and go back to the drawing board and "Thicken" up all over.

Bant Wt- Mutaz Ahmad

I missed this class but saw him in the Overall Posedown which again, for a little guy seemed a bit unfair but when you win your Class, youhave to step up or get beat down.
Lets just say, he may have looked good enough to win his class but the Posedown exposed a few things he will need to improve, namely SIZE!

Overall
Daryl Gee 
Super Heavyweight
1. Todd Jewell 
2. Silvio Kersten 
3. Reginald Brantley 
4. Rowdy Rusconi 
5. Ryan Foxx 

Middleweight
1. Daryl Gee 
2. Justin Rayner
3. Itaru Naito